Indian Institute of Technology Mandi
IIT Mandi, is the only IIT in the Himalayas. IIT Mandi’s 530 acre campus is
located on the River Uhl, a tributary of the River Beas 14 km outside the
historic town of Mandi in Himachal Pradesh. Surrounded by forested hills far
from the hustle and bustle of cities and highways, this scenic campus will
provide an excellent environment for the highest quality academic pursuits –
research, teaching and learning.
IIT Mandi is evolving curricula at the Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral
levels aimed at training engineering leaders for industry, academia and the
public sector. The curriculum has a strong design component based on real-world
problems, complemented by liberal doses of basic sciences, engineering sciences
and humanities. The curriculum offers flexibility for students to tailor their
studies depending on their interests.
The first batch of students was admitted in July 2009 through JEE. Initially,
the new Institute started three B.Tech programs, in Electrical Engineering,
Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science & Engineering. The intake in each
branch is 40. There are also about 25 MS and Ph.D. research scholars. We plan to
increase the number of research scholars rapidly. IIT Mandi strongly encourages
faculty to collaborate and address significant inter-disciplinary problems,
especially with real-world applications. Collaboration could be within the
Institute and with other institutions and industry. The Institute actively
encourages research in the thrust areas below:
- Energy-efficient and environmentally sound infrastructure for the
Himalayan region (renewable energy systems, buildings, transport networks,
waste management, water resources management, etc.)
- Technologies, including IT and communications, for sustainable
development (including disaster management; and increasing the viability of
fruit and vegetable growing through mechanization/biotechnology and
post-harvest value addition)
- Materials for electronics and electrical engineering, including
meta-materials and nanomaterials
- Other research areas of interest include: Structures, processes,
manufacturing and emerging materials for these; engineering design;
controls; IT and network security; networks and communications; computer
vision; theoretical computer science; VLSI; large software systems;
technical communication; economics; sociology; organizational psychology;
entrepreneurship; finance; policy studies; mathematics; statistics;
We are recruiting faculty in engineering, sciences and humanities who are
interested in research in any of the above areas and have a proven track record
relevant to it. Individuals who combine a strong academic record with a few
years of relevant industry experience, particularly in design and manufacturing,
will be preferred.
Indian nationals, Persons of Indian Origin, and Overseas Citizens of India
with an established record of independent, high quality research and a
commitment to teaching and research are invited to apply for the under- entioned
permanent Faculty Positions in various disciplines. Foreign nationals may apply
for contract appointments of up to 5 years
- Pay Band 3 (Rs.15,600-39,100) with AGP Rs.6,000/- with seven
non-compounded increments (minimum starting pay of Rs.20,140/-) Candidates
not eligible for direct recruitment may be put on tenure track for the
regular post of Assistant Professor they shall move after 1 year to AGP of
Rs.7,000/- and after 3 years to AGP of Rs.8,000/- with a minimum pay of
- Ph.D. in a relevant area with first class or equivalent at the preceding
degree with consistently good academic record throughout.
How To Apply:
Candidates fulfilling the eligibility criteria must apply online in
The online application form will be active from 7th March. The deadline for
application is 28th March
Instructions for completing the online application form:
- Indicate one or more Schools/Posts for which you wish to be considered.
- Indicate the Thrust Area(s) and other research areas in which you have
- Write a short statement of purpose, in the box provided, that explains
your plans in reference to IIT Mandi's vision and goals.
- Please enclose a detailed Academic Profile including the following
(a) Details of publications/conference papers presented listing:
Publications/presentations giving chronologically:
Names of authors, title of the paper, name of the journal/conference,
volume/proceeding, pages (from-to) year, etc. (Group the above separately as
Refereed National Journals, Refereed International Journals, Non-referred
Journals, presented at National Conferences, presented at International
(b) Awards, Patents, Prizes etc. indicating:
- Nature, name of prize/award, awarded by awarded for, year of award
- Name of the patent, year and details about the patent, etc.
(c) Research guidance (Ph.D/M.S./M.Tech., only those awarded) listing:
- Research degree, name of the scholar, title of thesis, year of award,
co-guide, if any, etc.
(d) Role in and details of research/consultancy projects carried out,
- Title of the project, duration, sponsor, value, co-investigators, if
(e) Other Activities like:
- Text books and Monographs written with details.
- Continuing education programs/conferences organized (as an organizer or
(f) Any other relevant but brief information on your academic standing.
- Please ask your referees to send letters of reference directly to the
Registrar, IIT Mandi, Indian Institute of Technology Mandi, Mandi - 175001,
(Himachal Pradesh) India by post or by email to registrar[at]iitmandi.ac.in
- Enclose reprints of your three best papers published.
The online application form will be active from
7th March. The deadline for
application is 28th March 2011.
Indian Institute of Technology Mandi
Admin Block, Near Bus Stand
Mandi - 175 001, Himachal Pradesh, India
Phone No.: +91-1905-237943
Fax No.: +91-1905-237945