Ed.CET-2011 Entrance Test Syllabus
Social Studies : Geography (Marks-35)
I. Principles of Physical Geography:
- Interior of the Earth.
- Major relief features of the Earth; Mountains, plateaus and plains.
- Wegner's theory of continual drift, theory of Isostacy, Earthquakes and
- Chief types of rocks and their chrematistics. Weathering and Erosion.
- Landforms in Fluvial, Arid, Karst, Glacial and Marine cycles. Structure
and composition of the atmosphere. Distribution of temperature-vertical and
horizontal; temperature inversion.
- Pressure Belts and Planetary wind systems, Monsoons & Local winds,
Precipitation, types of rainfall, Cyclones and anticyclones-tropical and
temperature cyclones-an outline of Koppen's classification of climates.
- Submarine relief - Distribution of temperature and salinity - Movements
of Ocean water: Waves, Tides and Currents - Currents of the Pacific, the
Atlantic and the Indian ocean - Ocean deposits.
II. Social and Economic Geography:
Definition, scope and objectives of Economic Geography Physical Environment
and Human activities Concept of Resources, Types of resources, Conservation and
management of resources - Distribution, Pattern and growth trends of population
in the world-Type of settlements. Urban and Rural Trends in Urban growth -
Agriculture: Distribution of Rice, Wheat Tea, Coffee, Cotton and Sugarcane -
Distribution of major forest types, major fishing grounds of the world - Mineral
and power resources : Iron, Bauxite, Coal & Petroleum - Weber's theory of
industrial location - Location and distribution of Iron and Steel, Cotton
III. Regional Geography of India:
Locational aspects, Major Physiographic regions, climate, drainage, soil
types and natural vegetation - pattern and growth trends of population,
urbanization - Agriculture: Rice, Wheat, Cotton, Jute, Sugarcane, Tea and Coffee
- irrigation and power development in India - Minerals : Iron, coal and
petroleum - Composition and pattern of trade - Resource appraisal of Telangana,
Rayalaseema and Coastal Andhra.
IV. Regional Geography of Asia:
Scope and content of Regiona Geography - location, Relief, Drainage, Climate,
Natural Vegetation, Agriculture. Types mineral wealth firon,tin, coal and oil);
Industrial development, industries (shipbuilding, petrochemicals, automobiles);
Population distribution; Broad outlines of the following as regions: South East
Asia : Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia - South West Asia : Iran, Iraq, Afganisthan.